Monday, April 26, 2010

Can You Lose Your Salvation

Over the last few weeks, we've been debating the question 'can one lose their salvation?' in our small group.  My opinion has leaned always towards 'no'.  Not in order to assure myself that my actions couldn't cause my demise but that they couldn't cause my salvation.  I do believe that the devil is constantly in the ear of those that have given their life to Christ saying "Are you really sure you are saved?" while God is in the other ear saying "I will never leave you nor forsake you".

To think that our actions, I argued could keep us saved devalues Christ's sacrifice.  He paid it all and died so we might live.  I'm not arguing that we need to work out our sanctification but all we bring to our justification is our sins (sorry forgot who originally said this).

Today, I heard a sermon from Chuck Swindoll on Disqualification.  He made a compelling point.  Not that our disciplines or actions assure our salvation but that the state of our heart will be judged.  Can we love God with all our heart and desire Him over everything, and than slowly fall in love with the things of the world and forget God.  I believe we can.

It's not a quick action like the slip of the tongue.  'Oh no, there goes my salvation, let me work to get back in right relationship with God.'  No, it's more like deciding not to accept the gift we once accepted.  Jesus' death paid the price and this is a gift we need to receive.  He doesn't force it on us.

As Chuck so eloquently described putting something else before God is subtle, very subtle.  We test the boundaries, we rationalize our actions, we continue to push the limits.  Until we say "I don't care the cost, I want ..."  and the blank space is anything but God.

But their is hope.  Chuck mentions Samson and how his ego led to his demise but he didn't mention the end of the story.  In Judges 16:28, Samson prays to God "O sovereign Lord, remember me.  O God, please strengthen me just once more, and let me with one blow get revenge on the Philistines for my two eyes".  Some say Samson's hair had grown back and therefore his strength had returned but then he wouldn't need to pray.  No, it's clear that he put God back in His right position, as the sovereign Lord, and therefore took himself off the throne of his life.  God answered Samson's prayer and if you turn back to God he will answer yours.

Please listen to Chuck Swindoll's sermon here:
Insight for Living - April 26, 2010

* Image courtesy of http://www.howstuffworks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment