Friday, April 16, 2010

Do you have Boundaries

   I just heard a sermon and the Holy Spirit convicted me.  The sermon was on Daniel 3, the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.  In the story the king of Bablon, Nebuchadnezzar, setup a golden statue and told everyone that they must bow down and worship it.  Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego refused and they were told that if they didn't comply they would be thrown into the blazing furnace.  Without hesitation this is how they replied:

 16 Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."


They didn't have to discuss the matter.  This decision was made a long time ago when they decided who they would follow.  They were thrown into the furnace and God was with them.  Read the story in Daniel 3.

This got me thinking 'do I avoid sinning because God said so, or because of the potential negative consequences.'  Furthermore, have I made a decision that no matter what the consequences, 'I will not' or 'I will' do certain things.  The answer for me was 'no'.  I had not drawn those lines clearly.  Yes, there are some things such as murder that wouldn't require any thought but do I have a clear line that I would not cross?

I decided to create a "Will Do" and "Won't Do" List.   That is, lists that help me define the boundaries of what I will do, and won't do at work, at home, at church and with my neighbors and friends.

I soon realized that it is very important that I be specific.  For example, it's easy to say that 'I will not break the law'. But this statement is much more effective: "I will not pay for any services in cash to avoid taxes."

Have you defined the boundaries in your life.  If you haven't, you might make the wrong decision when put under pressure.  Are you willing to take that risk?!

What's on your list?  We would like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment